IMP PEP is excited to offer the Teacher Certificate Program. This free of charge program is designed for physicians who work in a teaching capacity in clinical or didactic environments.
The program consists of five online workshops led by IMP Master Teachers, covering core topics focused on enhancing teaching skills and creating an optimal learning environment for health professionals.
Each session is 1.5 hours and will accumulate towards a certificate of completion. Completion of the Teacher Certificate Program will also be taken into consideration during faculty promotion reviews.
Registration for the 2022 – 2023 Teacher Certificate Program will open in the summer of 2022.
Session 1: Active Learning
Learn how to facilitate active learning environments appropriate to the learner’s stage.
- Explain current concepts underpinning active learning
- Target teaching to the level of the learner
- Use effective questioning to elicit clinical reasoning and/or decision making
Session 2: Learning Relationships
Optimize the learner and teacher relationship, integrate a learner’s educational history and goals, support learners in difficulty.
Discuss student mistreatment and the learning environment.
- Integrate learner’s educational history and goals in the educational plan
- Describe characteristics of healthy relationships (UBC professional standards) and boundaries
- Recognize (mis)treatment and its impact
- Recognize a student in difficulty
- Adequately utilize resources for student support
Session 3: Learning Context
Effectively maximize learning opportunities specific to the context and teach in a manner best aligned with teaching and learning goals.
- Use strategies to maximize the learning opportunities specific to the context (practice based, classroom based, self-directed learning)
- Match content and responsibility to the level of the learner
Session 4: Assessment
Discuss the continuum of stakes in programmatic assessment, discuss principles of programmatic assessment, compare and contrast tools used to support rater based assessments, discuss role of direct observation in assessment
- Discuss the continuum of stakes in programmatic assessment
- Discuss principles of programmatic assessment
- Compare and contrast tools used to support rater based assessments
- Discuss role of direct observation in assessment
Session 5: Feedback & Reflection
Establish conditions for effective feedback and reflection, discuss principles and tools to facilitate provision of feedback to learners, discuss generational
differences in providing and receiving feedback.
- Establish conditions for effective feedback and reflection
- Discuss principles and tools to facilitate feedback conversations
*This program is designed and adapted from VFMP’s Teacher Certificate Program with the same teaching objectives.
For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org